DoD IP Space

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Sat Jan 23 19:31:20 UTC 2021

----- On Jan 22, 2021, at 10:28 PM, Valdis Klētnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

Hi,

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 11:07:42 -0800, Sabri Berisha said:
>> Financial incentives also work. Perhaps we can convince Mr. Biden to give a .5%
>> tax cut to corporations that fully implement v6. That will create some bonus
>> targets.
>
> And how would you define "fully implement v6", anyhow?

Fair point. I'm sure the a commission appointed by the appropriate legislators
will be happy to spend a few millions debating that issue. Personally, I would
argue that a full implementation of IPv6 means that v4 could be phased out without
adverse effect on the production network.

But of course, how would we define "adverse effect on the production network"? :)

> Even more problematic: What do you do with a company that's fully v6-ready, but
> still has several major interconnects to other companies that *aren't* ready,
> and thus still using v4?

I totally agree with everything you wrote. It proves the point that having v6 ready
technologies in "the network", does not mean a network, or even a company is fully
v6 ready. Way too many stakeholders and outside dependencies.

To me, it means that "we", as in network professionals, should be ready to save
the day when company leaders finally realize they have no option and need v6 to
be implemented fast.

And secretly, I've been hoping for that moment. "Well, sir, the network has been
IPv6 ready for years, but the software groups and their leadership have so far
blatantly refused to update their code and support it".

I guess that I'll join you in retirement before that moment comes.

Thanks,

Sabri