DoD IP Space

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Jan 22 19:50:06 UTC 2021

Randy,

In one sense I agree with you, but what I was reacting to was the idea
of an ISP begging IETF to reassign 22/8 as private space because their
customers won't migrate to IPv6. That's problematic for many reasons,
and causes the folks who aren't getting with the program to inflict the
pain caused by their inaction on the rest of the network.

At the same time, I sympathize with the ISP because if they can't meet
their customer's needs (however dumb those needs are) then the customers
will leave.

I agree that we don't need a flag day for IPv6, but we have to stop
creating new accommodations, and we need to be more creative about
keeping the pain (aka cost) of not moving forward isolated to the folks
who are creating the problems.

Doug