Nice work Ron

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Jan 22 11:34:36 UTC 2021

I think you're missing the point about what are policies in the RIRs.

Policies in each RIR are developed by the (global) community. I live in Madrid, EU, my RIR is RIPE NCC, RIPE community, however, I contribute to policy making process in all the regions (all the RIRs), even if I've no resources in any of them.

Policies are not for the RIR employees, are for *anyone* that want to apply for resources in a given RIR.

And that means that to apply for the resources you need to *read, understand and agree* with those policies. If you don't agree with the policies, then you send a policy proposal and it may be adopted by the community, but meanwhile, you're bind to it if you obtain the resources.

I agree that the document that you mention will be nicer if it has a clear publication date and a note that states "This is only a guideline valid at time of publication and may not be complete neither accurate. The actual policies apply.". However, you should note that this document has been done by NIC.BR, they are non-native Spanish, non-native English, so they may have even used the Portuguese translation of the policies, which again may be inaccurate (as far as you try to translate something from one idiom to another, always there may be missing details and inaccuracy).

(maybe there is some text like that in the document, I didn't read it word by word)

And to complement that, as I previously said ... this document is NOT an official LACNIC document in terms of policies. Is only a guideline. LACNIC only translated it.

If I publish a document in Spanish about some rules that you wrote in Japanese, and then you translate my document to Japanese even with my authorization, are you responsible of the rules set by that document or the rules that will actually apply are your original document rules?

El 22/1/21 12:19, "NANOG en nombre de Masataka Ohta" <nanog-bounces+jordi.palet=consulintel.es at nanog.org en nombre de mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> escribió:

    JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:

    > Not at all.
    >
    > The "top" mandate of any RIR, in terms or resource allocation, is
    > what the policies say.
    Within LACNIC, yes, of course. LACNIC can specify some document
    specifies the policy to be followed by all the employees of LACNIC.

    However, that is a convention only valid locally within LACNIC.

    That is, LACNIC can not enforce it to people who have looked at and
    followed LACNIC statements stating otherwise.

    So?

    It should also be noted that you can't expect a Russian company
    having some business in LACNIC region read document of LACNIC
    not in English or Russian, which is why some reservation
    statements I mentioned could have been essentially important.

    						Masataka Ohta

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com