Uganda Communications Commission shutdown order

Ramakrishna Padmanabhan ramapad at caida.org
Wed Jan 20 23:49:51 UTC 2021

Hello folks,

Wanted to chime in to say that near-realtime outage data/graphs from the IODA (Internet Outage Detection and Analysis) system, at CAIDA, UC San Diego, are publicly available. For example, the following graph shows that the outage in Uganda began at ~4:00 PM UTC on Jan 13th and ended at ~9:00 AM UTC on Jan 18th:
https://ioda.caida.org/ioda/dashboard#view=inspect&entity=country/UG&lastView=overview&from=1610280000&until=1611057600 <https://ioda.caida.org/ioda/dashboard#view=inspect&entity=country/UG&lastView=overview&from=1610280000&until=1611057600>

Using the public dashboard you can view/check for outages affecting any country, sub-national region, and AS: https://ioda.caida.org/ioda/dashboard <https://ioda.caida.org/ioda/dashboard>. By default, the dashboard shows connectivity data for the last 24 hours, but users can specify any time range (up to a max of a month) back to several years. Note that a typical research infrastructure disclaimer applies: the system is still actively under development. While the automated alerts do contain false positives/negatives, the graphs provide users a clear view of what the underlying measurements tell us.

Btw, IODA provides data/graphs also to ISOC Insights mentioned by Mat.

Ramakrishna (Rama) Padmanabhan
Postdoctoral researcher
CAIDA, UC San Diego