DoD IP Space

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Wed Jan 20 17:17:06 UTC 2021

On 1/20/21 10:05 AM, Dorn Hetzel wrote:
> I am aware of some companies that have used parts of a DoD /8 internally to
> address devices in the field that are too old to ever support IPV6.  Those
> devices also never interact with the public internet, and never will, so
> for them, I guess the only risk would be that some other internal system
> that wants to talk to those devices would not also be able to talk to any
> endpoint on the public internet that wound up using space allocated from
> that block, some time in the future.  Is that about right or am I missing
> some key failure point?

You're free to use any IP space you want internally, no one is going to tell
you what to do inside your network.  Most providers will not route it for you
though.  There are some exceptions to this, the GRX being one, but that's it's
own VPN and separate network from the global Internet.  IIRC, here was some
VPN provider using 5/8 before that was assigned.

AFAIK IANA and the RIR's cannot enforce use of IP space assignments on any
network.
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice