Hosting recommendations ... ?

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Wed Jan 20 07:12:00 UTC 2021

On 1/19/21 10:56 AM, Bryan Holloway wrote:
> On 1/19/21 6:33 PM, Brandon Martin wrote:
>> On 1/19/21 11:44 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>>> Cloud = you get virtual servers with virtual storage, generally
>>> adjustable to meet your needs. You manage the operating systems and
>>> storage within the virtual environment. You DO NOT manage the host
>>> operating systems or hypervisors.
>> It's worth pointing out that nested virtualization is a thing these
>> days, and some providers might even support it!  That means you could
>> buy one large instance and sub-divide it yourself into multiple VMs
>> if you want to.
>>
>> In practice, unless you need that flexibility to dynamically spin the
>> VMs up and down with various specs AND don't want to or cannot use a
>> provider's API for that, I'm not sure why you'd want to if you didn't
>> have to for some crazy reason.
>
> I mean, I'm not exactly trying to render Pixar's latest movie ... just
> trying to push some bits around (light web-sites, some e-mail ...)
There is actually a happy medium.  Spin up a large VM.  Install
Proxmox.  But instead of spinning up heavy duty VM in KVM, or such,
Proxmox knows how to spin up LXC containers.  You get light performant
segregation between applications without the duplication of kernel.

Of course, if you need to run some sort of windows thingy that WinHQ
can't solve, then you have the ability to spin up a 'heavy' VM.

For native Linux apps, as I know how to do container networking
directly, many times I just skip the ProxMox abstraction and run the LXC
commands and IP commands directly.

Raymond Burkholder
blog: https://blog.raymond.burkholder.net