Hosting recommendations ... ?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jan 19 18:50:31 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 9:18 AM Bryan Holloway <bryan at shout.net> wrote:
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but in your #1 example "Cloud", what
> prevents me from running a Proxmox ISO (which is more or less Debian)
> vs. a "standard" Debian install on the provider's virtual server?

Hi Bryan,

I haven't used Proxmox but from a 60 second glance through Google that
looks like you're asking for nested virtualization. If it works at
all, you'd take a double-hit on everything that wants to run in ring
0, a double-hit on virtualized I/O and a double-hit for OS overhead
making the result more than a little sluggish. Kinda has "bad idea"
written all over it.

As I understand it, you can "cat /sys/module/kvm*/parameters/nested"
in one of the service provider's VMs and if the answer is "1" or "Y"
for the CPU type which matches the exposed CPU then what you're asking
for will probably work. For some definition of work anyway.

I use Vultr for my primary BGP exit and have found it largely
painless. The VMs I have there DO NOT support nested virtualization.
They do claim a bare metal offering but it's currently listed as sold
out in all of their data centers. They also claim to provide mountable
block storage for compute instances up to 10TB per, but I haven't
worked with that feature, I presume it only applies to virtual
servers, and it looks like it's only available in one of their data
centers.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--