Hosting recommendations ... ?

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Tue Jan 19 18:31:35 UTC 2021

Maybe this will help:

I use vultr.   I have also brought my own address space and am announcing
it to them from one of their instances (vm's) with BGP.   They are set up
such that you can use a private AS if you don't have your own and are ok
with them announcing this from their AS (after they strip off the private
as).

If you told me right this second that you needed a Ubuntu Server spun up, I
could be logged into the interface, select a location/size and have it
running within 60 seconds - with the complete Ubuntu install done.  Most of
my instances are running under their $5 plan which is 25GB of disk space, 1
CPU, 1G of memory, and 1TB of transfer.  Oh, and one or two are on the $6
plan which has slightly more disk and is on a faster CPU.      They
obviously have various options that go up from there all the way to
dedicated servers. In a couple of locations, they also have a smaller
IPv6-only server for $2.50.

I haven't found anything I need anything larger than their $5 or $6 plan
for, but I also am not running any heavy workloads.   Basically a static
webpage, a ticketing system, a couple of DNS servers, and the like.   I'm
currently testing voip(Asterisk) on the platform as well, and based on
testing so far will likely be moving it into full production in the next
few weeks.

I used ubuntu as an example, they also have all of the mainstream linux
distros and the BSD's and I think in some locations windows available.
They also have a pretty good selection of preconfigured applications (aka
common CMS'es, eCommerce platforms, etc).   All of these are in the ~60
seconds to spin up category.     You can also upload your own ISO or use a
pre-uploaded one from their library of less commonly used
applications/operating systems.

I've been running on the platform for about a year after having enough of a
shared hosting provider for some of the stuff and running on my own metal
in a datacenter for other stuff.   So far I'm very happy with them.

If you want to try them out, I noticed as I logged in to look up what the
$5 service includes that they're running a a "refer a friend and they get
$100 to test the service" promo.  I normally don't pass on referral codes
but I figured if you're evaluating this you might want the $100 credit (for
up to 30 days of service).   If so, the link for that offer is
https://www.vultr.com/?ref=8776996-6G .

--
- Forrest