Hosting recommendations ... ?

Bryan Holloway bryan at shout.net
Tue Jan 19 17:56:50 UTC 2021

On 1/19/21 6:33 PM, Brandon Martin wrote:

> On 1/19/21 11:44 AM, William Herrin wrote:

>> Cloud = you get virtual servers with virtual storage, generally
>> adjustable to meet your needs. You manage the operating systems and
>> storage within the virtual environment. You DO NOT manage the host
>> operating systems or hypervisors.

> It's worth pointing out that nested virtualization is a thing these
> days, and some providers might even support it!  That means you could
> buy one large instance and sub-divide it yourself into multiple VMs if
> you want to.
>
> In practice, unless you need that flexibility to dynamically spin the
> VMs up and down with various specs AND don't want to or cannot use a
> provider's API for that, I'm not sure why you'd want to if you didn't
> have to for some crazy reason.

I'm very curious about your assertion:

Is nested virtualization really a thing?

I mean, I'm not exactly trying to render Pixar's latest movie ... just
trying to push some bits around (light web-sites, some e-mail ...)

It just seems inherently prone to issues.

Could you back this up with any white-papers or documentation on the
subject? I'm genuinely interested ...

		- bryan