Hosting recommendations ... ?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jan 19 16:44:27 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 8:31 AM Bryan Holloway <bryan at shout.net> wrote:
> I would like to stop personally dealing with bare-metal. That's what I'm
> doing now.

Hi Bryan,

Cloud = you get virtual servers with virtual storage, generally
adjustable to meet your needs. You manage the operating systems and
storage within the virtual environment. You DO NOT manage the host
operating systems or hypervisors.

Bare metal = you lease physical equipment. You manage all software on
the equipment including any hypervisors needed to run virtual servers.
You DO NOT deal with hardware break/fix, that problem belongs to the
service provider.

Colocation = You lease space in a data center. You provide physical
equipment in your custom configuration.

With this terminology, at least one of your requirements is unmeetable
for contradicting the others. So I ask again for clarification: which
of these do you seek?

Regards,
Bill Herrin