tiny gorillas, was opportunistic email encryption by the MTA (not MUA)

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Jan 15 17:48:02 UTC 2021

In article <a1f45fdbf44300cc0e6058b3e52568f3d0a61091.camel at interlinx.bc.ca> you write:
>It's a real pity that there appears to be no real-world
>use/implementation of RFC8689.

I implemented RFC8689 as soon as Jim proposed it. My MTA recognizes
the REQUIRETLS option and then ignores it.

A lot of people who really should know better imagine that they can
announce something on the Internet and other people will have to do
what they say. It has never been true, and it is still not true. We've
seen this before with SPF -all where people are surprised that other
mail systems accept mail anyway.

Opportunistic TLS is fine, as is MTA-STS which says "if it doesn't
offer STARTTLS it's not me". Neither of those purport to tell other
systems what to do.

R's,
John