Nashville

Javier J javier at advancedmachines.us
Thu Jan 14 15:35:20 UTC 2021

I wouldn't say bad design, I would say outdated design. How do you take a
single fiber optic cable or a copper cable bundle going to a
business/building or a house and terminate it at 2 different Central
Offices? It inherently has a single points of failure. (why I added extra
straps to my fiber outside at home because stupid wind blows the damn cable
around that goes to the pole, I'm in NJ everything on poles here)

I don't think a bomb going off was part of the redundancy design process
when telephone central offices were first starting to be built.
I heard the rumour is (perhaps fact) the generators were keeping everything
up till about 12-1 PM eastern when they shut the gas supply off to the
neighborhood earlier safety. Once the batteries drained, that was it.

Family I have in Nashville were on the phone when it cut out and then
everything went dark.

I do think they could have done a better job with the wireless infra.

No reason you can't have some cell sites that can feed to a different
central office.

The fact is, distributed systems could work better, many smaller switching
and distribution buildings scattered about a metro area with redundant
links. A mesh. That was the single point of failure is just the link from
your house to the next hop. Obviously not feasible with copper pairs.

- Javier