End-user Alert Delivery (was Re: NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study)

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Thu Jan 14 07:49:38 UTC 2021

On January 14, 2021 at 04:56 jra at baylink.com (Jay R. Ashworth) wrote:
 > Well, it probably gets way worse: if it's a "permanent" battery, it will be
 > harder to find, and harder to replace...

No, you don't replace the permanent batteries in these 10 year smoke
detectors, you toss the whole smoke detector and buy a new one. Heroic
efforts aside.

So you don't need to find the right battery.

FWIW many smoke detectors bought in the past 10-15 years (I dunno but
something like that) even with typical replaceable batteries have some
sort of timer in them so when they hit 10 years they begin beeping in
a slightly different pattern (like two short beeps every 60 seconds)
and replacing the battery doesn't help. It just begins doing that on
the fresh battery until you figure out that you need to toss the
detector and buy a new one.

Ran into that, looked it up on their web site as I was confused why a
new battery wasn't helping and they confirmed that means the detector
has expired buy a new one.

I assume these 10 year sealed smoke detectors somehow came out of
that.

--
        -Barry Shein