Parler

Jerry Cloe jerry at jtcloe.net
Thu Jan 14 05:20:49 UTC 2021

I think its more probable to say that AWS didn't even know about this. As far as I can see, epik is just another AWS customer who spun up an instance and is hosting dns on that instance.  I doubt AWS is watching customers at a level that would detect this. But, I'm also sure that AWS has since caught wind of this and is watching closely. I just checked, and both listed servers are returning an A record for parler, although its bogus info (probably meant as a place holder with low TTL so no one caches an nxdomain).

> $ dig parler.com ns

> parler.com.300INNSns4.epik.com.
> parler.com.300INNSns3.epik.com.
> ns3.epik.com.108450INA52.55.168.70

It's quite possible that Amazon is playing this *entirely* by the book, and
the Parler crew haven't violated the terms of the nameserver hosting
agreement so Amazon hasn't cut that off.