[External] DMVPN via Internet or Private APN

Hunter Fuller hf0002+nanog at uah.edu
Tue Jan 12 18:05:13 UTC 2021

I probably would not choose the Private APN. I get the appeal, but I
would probably use router ACLs to restrict traffic only to other
endpoints in the VPN mesh. Exploits/methods that could get around this
are few and far between, and the benefits are numerous, namely, you
aren't tied to one cell provider, and you aren't even tied to the
cellular medium (which might be important).

If, for some reason, being tied to one carrier was not any concern,
AND I had an amazingly good deal with my carrier on the APN, then my
opinion might change, but that just seems unlikely to me.

I do not think it is an excessive burden to remain on top of software
releases, such that, if there was some exploit that could breach the
ACL protection, you would be able to patch it very quickly. And since
it's just OOB, you can test it on three or four boxes, then just blast
the upgrade out to all of them at once using Ansible or whatever.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology