Parler

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Jan 11 00:30:17 UTC 2021

In article <474FE6A6-9AA8-47A7-82C6-860A21B0E99D at ronan-online.com> you write:
>When I actively hosted USENET servers, I was repeatedly warned by in-house and external counsel, not to moderate which groups I hosted
>based on content, less I become responsible for moderating all groups, shouldn’t that same principal apply to platforms like AWS and
>Twitter?

If this was in the US and it was after the CDA was passed in 1996, your lawyers were just wrong.

Before that the case law was thin but Cubby vs Compuserve (which is
more persuasive than Stratton Oakmont since it's a federal case) said
that online services were like bookstores, not expected to know what
was on every page unless it'd had been brought to their attention or
they had some other reason they should have known.

R's,
John