Parler

Rod Beck rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com
Sun Jan 10 21:50:05 UTC 2021

Unless the courts rule or the legislators enact legislation making them a public utility. In legal circles there is a theory that platforms like Facebook, messaging services, etc. might achieve such importance to public life and discourse as to merit regulation under the grounds they are an essential utility. I am neutral regarding this idea - I have not studied it and also realize that Amazon is not strictly speaking a social media. So my point is tangential.

As a big fan of the 1st amendment, but someone deeply appalled by the riot last week and keenly aware of how social media are letting the mud to the surface, I am very perplexed how to reconcile free speech and the garbage flowing through our social streets.