Parler

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Sun Jan 10 19:11:59 UTC 2021

On 1/10/21 9:48 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> Is it content moderation, or just giving the boot to enabling criminal
> activity? Would that more providers be given the boot for enabling voice
> spam scams, for example. Didn't one of the $n-chan's get the boot a
> while back? I don't seem to recall a lot of push back about that and it
> was pretty much the same situation, iirc.

There's legit users of parler and 8-chan.  Not every one is on the
racist/insurrectionist/etc. sections.  And who's to say they have less of a
right to their unpopular speech than I have to discuss retro video games?

This seems like it raises two interesting questions:

1. When should a contracted provider be able to discontinue service with
little to no notice to the customer if they find their content distasteful?

2. Where do we expect legit insurrections to communicate?  Should
AWS/Facebook/Twitter boot those calling for violent uprisings in Hong Kong
(for example).

I suppose #2 is simply one mans freedom fighter is another criminal.

Anyone hosting with Amazon/Google/the cloud here should be really concerned
with the timing they gave them, 24 hours notice to migrate.  Industry
standards would seem to be at least 30 days notice.  Note this is not the
police/courts coming to the host with notice that they are hosting illegal
content but only the opinion of the provider that they don't want to host it.

I seem to recall a customer who was using provider IP space that sued and won
an injunction circa 2004 against their provider allowing time to migrate. I
remember reading the decision and was taken back by the decent grasp the judge
had on BGP/IP space.  I can see how this might be similar.

Many years ago I was CoLo'd at a facility which shut off the racks of a
customer at 9am on a Monday after finding said customer had poached an
employee from the provider and was intending to compete with services the CoLo
offered.  They physically disconnected the cross connects to these racks for
this and banned the customer's employees from the facility.  Their counsel
even told the customer "any contract is voidable at any time".  Basic planning
for any company should ensure you never have all your eggs in one basket.
Perhaps this was a bit dumb on the customers part, but they had a contract.

The cloud is just someone else's computer..
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net