Parler

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sun Jan 10 18:37:00 UTC 2021

On 1/10/21 10:21 AM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 9:55 AM Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd say it starts to be "inconvenient approaching impossible" only at
>> the point where you begin to use Cloudformation — or when you don't
>> have automated deployment at all.  While the provisioning tools are
>> provider agnostic, a move from a provider to a provider would take
>> days at most.
> Hi Töma,
>
> Are you sure about that? Consider your database. Suppose you want to
> run your primary database in AWS with a standby replica in Azure. As
> long as you install your own database software in both, you can do
> that. But if you want to leverage AWS' RDS products too, you're mostly
> out of luck.

Is RDS based on something else? I find it hard to believe that they
wrote a rdb from scratch. But yes, once they own your db they own you.
I've looked before how to migrate from mysql to postgres and was shocked
at how little there seems to be out there to even do even the easier
stuff let alone the proprietary extensions.

Mike