Parler

Haudy Kazemi kaze0010 at umn.edu
Sun Jan 10 18:07:11 UTC 2021

Conclusion:

Companies are not permitted to discriminate amongst who they will have as a
customer on the basis of the racial or sexual orientation (or a number of
other bases).

Companies are permitted to discriminate amongst who they will have as a
customer using other criteria. E.g. "No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no
service." Customers who disturb other customers can also get "fired" or
banned by the company if they're deemed not worth the trouble...but the
reason for doing so must not be illegal itself.

Companies who are wary of the law may also be particularly concerned about
serving customers who are using (or enabling others to use) the goods and
services that company offers in ways that may violate the laws of the
jurisdiction the company is under. (In some neighborhoods, Home Depot locks
up all the spray paint cans, and limits sales to customers, as part of
local anti-graffiti measures.)

---

There are parallels in establishing or ending employment...there are
certain reasons that provide a legal basis for hiring or not hiring
someone, as well as reasons that provide a legal basis for firing someone.