Parler

Richard Porter richard at pedantictheory.com
Sun Jan 10 18:07:01 UTC 2021

>From a business perspective, this clearly helps us understand risk of a
single point of failure. Basic ORM tell us What is the Damage if it occurs,
how likely is it to occur and then accept, mitigate or transfer.

For example in another life, I was responsible for the 'last mile' for a
private city which included fiber in the road. We started to look at pop
diversity (small private city that was near 2 pops, rare but happens).
Instead we went with a pre negotiated contract with our fiber provider and
accepted a 24 hour outage knowing that our Fiber provider was on emergency
stand by if needed. They'd roll a truck and would have us back up within 24
hours (likely faster). The risk process included "How often do we have an
actual fiber cut in the road." It had happened in the past, but the private
city owned the roads and road crew, so new communications procedures were
put in place and it had not happened since.

I agree with Bill. This is a business problem.