Parler

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sun Jan 10 16:42:35 UTC 2021

That's my understanding as well, from years of hosting email lists.  As
soon as one starts moderating, the rules change, and immunity goes away.

It's one of my issues with the whole notion of rules-of-conduct on email
lists - particularly when folks get on my case for not "moderating"
language that some individual or other finds offensive (like not using
requested pronouns).  Some folks get REALLY irate when I refuse to play
thought police - and it seems particularly bad when the issue is a minor
one.  I've almost gotten to the point of imposing a policy of "the only
grounds for moderation or expulsion from this list are repeated
complaints about the list host's lack of moderation."

Sigh...

Miles Fidelman

sronan at ronan-online.com wrote:
> While Amazon is absolutely within their rights to suspend anyone they want for violation of their TOS, it does create an interesting problem. Amazon is now in the content moderation business, which could potentially open them up to liability if they fail to suspend any other customer who hosts objectionable content.
>
> When I actively hosted USENET servers, I was repeatedly warned by in-house and external counsel, not to moderate which groups I hosted based on content, less I become responsible for moderating all groups, shouldn’t that same principal apply to platforms like AWS and Twitter?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 10, 2021, at 3:24 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>
>> Anybody looking for a new customer opportunity? It seems Parler is in
>> search of a new service provider. Vendors need only provide all the
>> proprietary AWS APIs that Parler depends upon to function.
>>
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/01/09/amazon-parler-suspension/
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bill HErrin

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown