Parler

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Jan 10 15:29:40 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:03:51AM -0500, sronan at ronan-online.com wrote:
> Another interesting angle here is that it as ruled President
> couldn???t block people, because his Tweets were government
> communication. So has Twitter now blocked government communication?

That's not interesting or even a reasonable comparison.

Twitter wasn't involved in the former.  There is a huge difference in
the President being told that he cannot block random citizens from
reading his tweets (no Twitter involvement), and Twitter declaring that
they no longer wish to provide service to the President (Twitter's
right as it is their private property).  The President is free to
pursue alternative venues for his messaging.

Conflating unrelated things and drawing bad conclusions is not useful.

At some point, it seems likely that the networking community may be
faced with more choices such as what Cloudflare faced with 8chan.  In
an ideal world, people would act responsibly and we could have the nice
things like libertarian ideals, but the reality as demonstrated by the
last quarter century seems to indicate otherwise, in many small and not-
so-small ways.

I find that distressing, but I am not so libertarian as to insist that
others pay for this stuff with their lives.  I don't have any idea what
the correct answer is, though.

... JG
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that
democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"-Asimov