Show NOCs: OIG report: Should you charge extra for NOC tours?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jan 8 17:30:09 UTC 2021

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu>

> On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 23:35:06 +0000, "Jay R. Ashworth" said:
>> > From: "Brandon Svec" <bsvec at teamonesolutions.com>
>> > It is not really different than most other tourist attractions. Some are amazed
>> > and curious to see the largest ball of twine
>> Those would be people who *don't* do this for a living, mostly...
>> >                                               and some think it is ridiculous.
>> Those would be people who *do* this for a living, mostly.
>
> I could go "meh" about a NOC tour itself.  On the other hand, I can think
> of a number of providers where buying the right person a beer would be
> significantly enlightening. :)

About 10 years ago now, I had a client whose project enabled/required me to
go tour the big 6 or 7 colo providers in Tampa; we ended up in Park Tower at
eSolutions, now owned by WOW.  (Very nicely run, though I don't know if Arrin
is still running it; they operated the carrier hotel in Tampa as well, so...)

As you imply, while the tours were nice, the more important thing was that
they were *given by exactly the guy you wanted to know better*.

And by the end of the tour, if you'd asked good questions, you'd established
both his bonafides... and your own.

Cheers,
-- jra