NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jan 7 23:32:11 UTC 2021

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Chris Adams" <cma at cmadams.net>

> Aren't the cell-based emergency alerts on all cell phones, not just
> smartphones?

CMAS/WEA uses SMS Cell Broadcast.  I assume the SMS firmware on the phone
has to know what to do about those, and I don't know how far that knowledge
goes back in the deployment of SMS firmware, and it's all-fired difficult
to find out, IME.

Anything built in the last 4-5 years certainly should know; I've received
CMAS on phones as far back as 2009 build or so...  though I did need an app,
and I had to steal one from another carrier than my own.

Cheers,
-- jra