nike.com->nike.com/ca

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 21:59:47 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 1:48 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 1:42 PM Kain, Becki (.) <bkain1 at ford.com> wrote:
> > > At home, using 8.8.8.8, if I goto www.nike.com, I get rerouted to nike.com/ca. I cleared the dns cache (I’m running Catalina macos) and rebooted just because.  Anyone else seen a weirdism on this?  thanks
> >
> > Welcome to Why You Shouldn't Make Customer-Visible Decisions Based On
> > DNS Resolver Geolocation or DNS Load Balancing Sucks 101.
> >
> > Nike.com is geolocating the server IP address which requests the web
> > site address. This isn't yours or 8.8.8.8 but instead some unicast IP
> > address to which your 8.8.8.8 packet was routed. Possibly in Canada.
> > Nike appears to think so.
>
> Though I'm probably talking out my tail since this is an HTTP redirect

quite possible' :) (you don't normally, but I think the HTTP thing is
the 'gotcha')

> which would know your originating IP address (unless you're knowingly
> or unknowingly using a proxy).

the flow here is PROBABLY:
  "some dns query which doesn't really matter" by client
 "some http(s) connect to the server by the client (beki)"
 "server looks up 'client address' in a 'database of geo ip mapping'
and says; "you are in CA(nada) so... 302 /ca pls!"

good times! :)
(also, typical geo ip problems :( bummer!)