nike.com->nike.com/ca

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jan 6 21:48:36 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 1:42 PM Kain, Becki (.) <bkain1 at ford.com> wrote:
> At home, using 8.8.8.8, if I goto www.nike.com, I get rerouted to nike.com/ca. I cleared the dns cache (I’m running Catalina macos) and rebooted just because.  Anyone else seen a weirdism on this?  thanks

Welcome to Why You Shouldn't Make Customer-Visible Decisions Based On
DNS Resolver Geolocation or DNS Load Balancing Sucks 101.

Nike.com is geolocating the server IP address which requests the web
site address. This isn't yours or 8.8.8.8 but instead some unicast IP
address to which your 8.8.8.8 packet was routed. Possibly in Canada.
Nike appears to think so.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--