NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Wed Jan 6 12:27:07 UTC 2021

I respect this in principle, but hyperbole serves no-one - a smartphone only creates a "morass of privacy/security issues" if you let it. A basic smartphone can be had for less than $100 USD, which would give you calling, text messaging and emergency alerts. You don't need to spend many hundreds. (I myself run a mid-range device at about US$200 worth. I won't spend $800 or anything close to that for something I could just as easily lose or drop or break in in my pocket whilst doing "active" things).

So one has to ask at some level, whether the addition of emergency alerts and the ability to maybe do some simple tasks on the fly when needed (which need not include social media, or the use of location tracking services, or even mobile data most of the time?) is worth anything to you.

I feel like a cheap smartphone would be preferable to a smart smoke detector. At least the bits required to deliver the required functionality are already there and not needing to be invented.

Mark.

--
Sent from a mobile device.