NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Tue Jan 5 20:48:47 UTC 2021

On January 4, 2021 at 21:19 valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis Klētnieks) wrote:
 > On Mon, 04 Jan 2021 15:33:10 -0500, bzs at theworld.com said:
 > > Why wouldn't we just build this into 10-year battery smoke alarms, a
 > > simple radio receiver?
 >
 > First, that means your smoke alarm batteries run down faster, which is
 > a major issue.

That's the sort of argument I label "all sign, no magnitude".

How much faster? If it took one minute of battery life off a 10 year
battery would that be a problem? 30 minutes?

How does that compare to other factors like ambient temperature which
also affects battery life but we mostly consider "in the noise"?

Could we make the battery just a little more powerful? How much power
would a bit of circuitry waiting for a "turn on! there's a new message
coming in!" need?

etc.

--
        -Barry Shein