NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Tue Jan 5 17:12:53 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 7:11 PM Billy Crook <BCrook at unrealservers.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 4:13 PM Matt Hoppes <
> mattlists at rivervalleyinternet.net> wrote:
>
>> Just give users the ability to select what categories/severities they
>> want to see, so I don't get disrupted every time there's a scary rain storm
>> coming or some divorcee is behind on child-support.

Yesterday I was mildly indifferent.
Today, after receiving SIX zarking Amber alerts between 8 PM and 11 PM
local time, I suddenly have a strong opinion.
Talk about alert fatigue.  The sixth alert I received could have been for
the world ending.  I still wouldn't have looked at my phone.

Thankfully I can adjust the default setting to disable everything except
"presidental emergency alerts"...whatever that is.

As long as I can turn it off completely, I'm fine with people baking that
crap into their tech.

I still want my wired Nest smoke alarm to be able to pick up NWS alerts
though.

-A