NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Tue Jan 5 14:40:05 UTC 2021

>  If YouTube can mash back-to-back unskippable ads on demand into content, they can put an emergency alert in there, and I bet people would like them more than the ads.

+1 to that. If a real-time ad exchange can run a market auction to serve you highly targeted ads in fractions of a second I am sure it is technically possible to match an alert to a broad geo area and serve an emergency alert.

> Solution, seeking problem  which explains why it's coming out of the federal government.  Can't we just scrap it and have that tax money back please, mkay?  How about we NOT build another mechanism for the government to incite panic?  Did we learn nothing from 2020?

I suggest that EAS & E911 are pretty important services that society relies upon and does save lives (e.g. tornado warnings via EAS) when seconds make a difference. As people move to new devices & services these services should follow & evolve - ranging from EAS via video streaming to E911 over text/video/VoIP.

Jason