NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Billy Crook BCrook at unrealservers.net
Tue Jan 5 03:08:06 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 4:13 PM Matt Hoppes <
mattlists at rivervalleyinternet.net> wrote:

> How would that even work?  Force a pop up into web traffic?  What if the
> end users is using an app on a phone?

Mitch please....  If YouTube can mash back-to-back unskippable ads on
demand into content, they can put an emergency alert in there, and I bet
people would like them more than the ads.

Just give users the ability to select what categories/severities they want
to see, so I don't get disrupted every time there's a scary rain storm
coming or some divorcee is behind on child-support.

On a technical note (having read the comment about overloading the system)
could a system like DNS help handle this?  i.e. put the alerts in TXT
records.  every playback device can check for them at the US, state, county
level.  The TXT record links to an https JSON/XML with more detail, link to
video.  ISPs cache them to reduce load, TTLs prevent unnecessary traffic
because everybody respects those....

Maybe the endpoints don't even query the federal records, but the county
records instead, which mirror any relevant state and federal records, and
counties that are too 'rural' just get managed by their state.

I dug into how the actual emergency alerts in my area work many years ago
and I could swear machine-formatted email was involved, at least regarding
weather alerts.

Then again how many people would benefit from adding this to online
streaming, but don't already have cellphones that have emergency alert
popups that get their attention.  The kind of people who don't have
smartphones are going to be the ones still watching bunny ears television
anyway.  In other words, you're not going to reach the people who *don't *have
smartphones by ADDING more technology.

Solution, seeking problem  which explains why it's coming out of the
federal government.  Can't we just scrap it and have that tax money back
please, mkay?  How about we NOT build another mechanism for the government
to incite panic?  Did we learn nothing from 2020?