NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Krassimir Tzvetanov maillists at krassi.biz
Mon Jan 4 08:56:20 UTC 2021

I am impressed that this thread made it to the drain in less than a day, so
here are my few cents on the topic.

First, the NDAA does not prescribe port numbers, or any other technology,
as no policy document EVER should. It's plain and simple. Mark Foster
covered it well, but here is a slightly different point - if the
government needs to insert _high priority programming_ whatever you are
operating it needs to be able to do that. Now think about your deer grandma
(on the one you hate but the dear one), who is sitting on her couch
immersed in YouTube jumping cats videos, while there is a tornado in the
area. Wouldn't you be happy that YouTube implemented the alert system so
grandma now knows she needs to go in the shelter?

It is impressive how everyone got worked up on the veto and didn't pay
attention to what was written in the NDAA but I'll let people read through
it as I don't think this list is suitable for political discussions.

Also a PSA: Amber alerts, Emergency alerts, and Public Safety alerts all go
over cell broadcast. Think of it as a broadcast message on a LAN where the
LAN is the local mobile phone cell. The reason you get that message 600
miles away for an amber alert is because in most civilized societies
children's lives are immensely valued. And a 5-6 hour driving distance is
not much knowing the lifecycle of reporting of such things and activation
of the system, and also the time it takes for some of those kidnappings to
be discovered before it can even be reported.

Cheers,