NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sun Jan 3 21:51:12 UTC 2021

On 1/3/21 1:22 PM, Mark Delany wrote:

> Even with a participating application, quiescing in-memory state to something less than,
> say, 1KB is probably hard but might be doable with a participating TLS library. If so, a
> million quiescent connections could conceivably be stashed in a coupla GB of memory. And
> of course if you're prepared to wear a disk read to recover quiescent state, your
> in-memory cost could be less than 100 bytes allowing many millions of quiescent
> connections per server.

Even at 1000 bytes, we're talking about 40GB for the entirety of
California. You can get off the shelf cloud VM's with that easily these
days, and 10 of those covers the US (ok, redundancy, but still...).
That's probably why DoH wasn't a big deal. Throwing memory at a problem
these days is probably easier than any heroic measures.

Mike