NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sun Jan 3 17:47:09 UTC 2021

On 1/2/21 10:31 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

>> including foreign locations, generations of emergency alert
>> packets *MUST* be responsibility of *LOCAL* ISPs.
>>
>> A problem is that home routers may filter the broadcast
>> packets from ISPs, but the routers may be upgraded or
>> some device to snoop the alert packets may be placed between
>> ISPs and the routers.
> Yup; it's messy, and in many many different ways.  Won't be a snapshot
> rollout.  Not a bad idea, though, if implemented correctly; time to dig
> out my notes, I guess.

Is there a reason not to use an outbound tcp/quic connection? It was
unthinkable years ago to use TCP with DNS, but now we have DoH and the
world hasn't spiraled out of control. Heck if you made it a websocket
you'd have a built in channel for multi-media html, etc. That is, just
push a URL down and fire up a webview that the OS makes certain is in focus.

Mike