NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Jan 3 17:43:30 UTC 2021

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 09:26:07 +0000, Mark Foster said:'

> Yeah my family got a PS4 for Christmas. But we've had an Xbox One for
> the last few years. There are quite a few streaming apps, true.  But a
> lot fewer of those than worldwide telcos, or jurisdictions, or emergency
> services.

You missed the point - Hulu would *still* have to deal with every single jurisdiction
or emergency service in a secure manner.

But any given ISP doing business in a given county would only have to deal with
a very small number - and the local sheriff's office would only have to notify the small
number of providers actually providing access in the county.

> So do you want the streaming service to deliver the alert, or do you
> want the underlying device doing the streaming, to deliver the alert?
> Because I think you've gone down a layer and didn't need to.

How do you deliver the alert if the device is on but no streaming service is
currently active? And for a lot of devices, that's the usual state of affairs.
As far as I know, most people who have a Google or Alexa smart device have it
on close to 24/7, but the devices aren't streaming media that much.

That's why I think doing it at the streaming service level is one level too high.