NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sun Jan 3 17:36:06 UTC 2021

On 1/3/21 12:26 AM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 18:59:37 +1300, Mark Foster said:
>
>> In my mind it's simple.� The streaming companies need to have a channel
>> within their streaming system to get a message to a 'currently active
>> customer' (emergency popup notification that appears when their app is
>> open or their website is active with an authenticated user).� The
> Oh geez. Just on my PS4, there's streaming apps for Disney+, Netflix, Hulu,
> Prime, Playstation Store, Peacock, Tubi, ESPN+, AppleTV, YouTube (less than
> half of which I actually subscribe to, but I haven't found a big enough crowbar
> to remove the others, they keep returning) - and that's probably not a complete
> list.

It also begs the question of what constitutes a "streaming service". Is
my marketing department's slick new ad campaign video a "streaming
service"? I could easily get engrossed in its valuable messaging and
miss that tornado alert.

Inline messaging is a complete dead end on the internet. Inline was
because there was no other reasonable way to message on broadcast tv.
That is definitely not the case now.

Mike