NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Jan 3 06:31:56 UTC 2021

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Masataka Ohta" <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
> To: nanog at nanog.org

> Sean Donelan wrote:
>
>> the Commission shall complete an
>> inquiry to examine the feasibility of updating the Emergency
>> Alert System to enable or improve alerts to consumers provided
>> through the internet, including through streaming services.
>
> It is trivially easy to have a dedicated UDP port to receive
> broadcast packets for such purposes, as "through streaming
> services" is not the requirement.

Though, sadly, 911/udp is taken, and by someone who may not exist
anymore.

Who owns the <1024 post list these days, IANA?

> As streaming services are often offered from distant places
> including foreign locations, generations of emergency alert
> packets *MUST* be responsibility of *LOCAL* ISPs.
>
> A problem is that home routers may filter the broadcast
> packets from ISPs, but the routers may be upgraded or
> some device to snoop the alert packets may be placed between
> ISPs and the routers.

Yup; it's messy, and in many many different ways.  Won't be a snapshot
rollout.  Not a bad idea, though, if implemented correctly; time to dig
out my notes, I guess.

Cheers,
-- jra