NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sun Jan 3 05:59:37 UTC 2021

On 3/01/2021 2:41 am, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> Sean Donelan wrote:
>
>> the Commission shall complete an
>> inquiry to examine the feasibility of updating the Emergency
>> Alert System to enable or improve alerts to consumers provided
>> through the internet, including through streaming services.
>
> It is trivially easy to have a dedicated UDP port to receive
> broadcast packets for such purposes, as "through streaming
> services" is not the requirement.

but "including" is...

And I don't see that opening up a UDP port on every end-user device to
receive some sort of broadcast (unicast?) is going to be great security.
Someone will find away to exploit it.

> As streaming services are often offered from distant places
> including foreign locations, generations of emergency alert
> packets *MUST* be responsibility of *LOCAL* ISPs.
>
> A problem is that home routers may filter the broadcast
> packets from ISPs, but the routers may be upgraded or
> some device to snoop the alert packets may be placed between
> ISPs and the routers.

I think you're overthinking this.

In my mind it's simple.  The streaming companies need to have a channel
within their streaming system to get a message to a 'currently active
customer' (emergency popup notification that appears when their app is
open or their website is active with an authenticated user).  The
streaming company will also know the location of their customer (billing
information) so will know what geographic locations are relevant to that
customer.

Local Authorities can feed emergency broadcast information to the
streaming companies tagged with a geolocation and the streaming company
will only rebroadcast it to those customers who are interested in that
geolocation.

Providing for network-layer alerts of this nature is overcomplicated and
unnecessary - as was pointed out there are existing means to do this
(cellphone emergency broadcasts, weather radio service, etc) and the
intent appears to be to simply add another channel for those who might
not be able to receive the other. Asking the likes of Netflix to be able
to channel an brief emergency notifcation across a relevantly-located
customers streaming service doesn't actually seem that complex, and
because it's all 'in band' it requires no specific intervention from the
underlying network operator.

Mark.