NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Max Harmony maxh at maxh.me.uk
Sun Jan 3 01:43:03 UTC 2021

On 02 Jan 2021, at 19.18, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:
> I think the challenge here is that there's a category of people
> who don't have cell phones, who don't have cable TV, but
> receive content over their internet connection.  I happen to
> live with someone like that, so I know it's a non-zero portion
> of the population.

Emergency alerts are also on OTA TV (and radio), not just cable. People whose sole communications device is a computer can subscribe to FEMA'S IPAWS feed. People who can't (or don't want to) do that can use a weather radio (despite the name, NWS broadcasts all hazards alerts, not just weather). The most likely answer to "how do we get streaming services to provide emergency alerts?" is to make them redistribute the IPAWS feed and update their software to make the updates human-readable. It would probably be cheaper to just tell people where to find free IPAWS software instead of making every streaming service add the feature, and, as a last resort, give people who need them free weather radios.