NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sun Jan 3 00:18:28 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:51 AM Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
> [...]
> Just to be clear: this is talking about IP traffic, not things like
> SMS-CB, right? When there are already cell broadcast alerts, I have the
> feeling that adding alerts to IP traffic (however that would be
> supposed to work) wouldn't add that much coverage…
>
> Cheers,
> Sander

I think the challenge here is that there's a category of people
who don't have cell phones, who don't have cable TV, but
receive content over their internet connection.  I happen to
live with someone like that, so I know it's a non-zero portion
of the population.

For them, cell based alerts don't reach them, and cable TV
inserted alerts don't reach them.

Thus, the question of "can we reach them via IP-based
alerting?"

I think it's a good investigation to undertake, as there's
clearly a population that is left out of the current alerting
systems we have in place.

Matt