NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Sat Jan 2 20:40:24 UTC 2021

----- On Jan 1, 2021, at 2:12 PM, Matt Hoppes mattlists at rivervalleyinternet.net wrote:

Hi,

> How would that even work?  Force a pop up into web traffic?  What if the end
> users is using an app on a phone?

Most, if not all, mobile devices connected to cellular already have that option. On
my iphone it's under settings->notifications->government alerts. There are three
separate options: Amber alerts, Emergency alerts, and Public Safety alerts.

Personally, I have all three turned off after receiving nonsens alerts. Amber alerts
for children abducted in Los Angeles, only 600km (~450 miles) from the Bay Area,
where I live, for example. Or a "public safety" alert telling me that there are
too many people in the local Trader Joe's, 2 miles from my home.

Aliens always invade New York, so I'm safe up here :)

Thanks,

Sabri