Famous operational issues

Shawn L shawnl at up.net
Tue Feb 23 22:37:28 UTC 2021

That brings back memories....I had a similar experience.  First month on the job, large Sun raid array storing ~ 5k of mailboxes dies in the middle of the afternoon.  So, I start troubleshooting and determine it's most likely a bad disk.  The CEO walked into the server room right about the time I had 20 disks laid out on a table.  He had a fit and called the desktop support guy to come and 'show me how to fix a pc'.

Never mind the fact that we had a 90% ready to go replacement box sitting at another site, and just needed to either go get it, or bring the disks to it..... So we sat there until the desktop who was 30 minutes away guy got there.  He took one look at it and said 'never touched that thing before, looks like he knows what he's doing' and pointed to me.  4 hours later we were driving the new server to the data center strapped down in the back of a pickup.  Fun times.