Famous operational issues

Justin Streiner streinerj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 22:22:56 UTC 2021

An interesting sub-thread to this could be:

Have you ever unintentionally crashed a device by running a perfectly
innocuous command?
1. Crashed a 6500/Sup2 by typing "show ip dhcp binding".
2. "clear interface XXX" on a Nexus 7K triggered a cascading/undocument
Sev1 bug that caused two linecards to crash and reload, and take down about
two dozen buildings on campus at the .edu where I used to work.
3. For those that ever had the misfortune of using early versions of the
"bcc" command shell* on Bay Networks routers, which was intended to make
the CLI make look and feel more like a Cisco router, you have my
condolences.  One would reasonably expect "delete ?" to respond with a list
of valid arguments for that command.  Instead, it deleted, well...
everything, and prompted an on-site restore/reboot.

BCC originally stood for "Bay Command Console", but we joked that it really
stood for "Blatant Cisco Clone".