Famous operational issues

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Feb 23 19:06:01 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:31 PM <bzs at theworld.com> wrote:

> At Boston Univ we discovered the hard way that a security guard's
> walkie-talkie could cause a $5,000 (or $10K for the big machine room)
> Halon dump.

At one of the AOL datacenters there was some convoluted fire marshal reason
why a specific door could not be locked "during business hours" (?!), and
so there was a guard permanently stationed outside. The door was all the
way around the back of the building, and so basically never used - and so
the guard would fall asleep outside it with a piece of cardboard saying
"Please wake me before entering". He was a nice guy (and it was less faff
than the main entrance), and so we'd either sneak in and just not tell
anyone, or talk loudly while going round the corner so he could pretend to
have been awake the whole time...

--
The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.