DPDK and energy efficiency

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Tue Feb 23 16:03:43 UTC 2021

> No, it is not PMD that runs the processor in a polling loop.
> It is the application itself, thay may or may not busy loop,
> depending on application programmers choice.
>

>From one of my earlier references [2]:

"we found that a poll mode driver (PMD)
thread accounted for approximately 99.7 percent
CPU occupancy (a full core utilization)."

And further on:

"we found that the thread kept spinning on the following code block:

*for ( ; ; ) {for ( i = 0; i < poll_cnt; i ++) {dp_netdev_process_rxq_port
(pmd, list[i].port, poll_list[i].rx) ;}}*
This indicates that the thread was continuously
monitoring and executing the receiving data path."

[2] S. Fu, J. Liu, and W. Zhu, “Multimedia Content Delivery with Network
Function Virtualization: The Energy Perspective,”
 IEEE MultiMedia, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 38–47, 2017, ISSN: 1941-0166.
DOI: 10.1109/MMUL.2017.3051514.

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale
Assistant Lecturer