Famous operational issues

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Tue Feb 23 00:27:52 UTC 2021

At Boston Univ we discovered the hard way that a security guard's
walkie-talkie could cause a $5,000 (or $10K for the big machine room)
Halon dump.

Took a couple of times before we figured out the connection tho once
someone made it to the hold button before it actually dumped.

Speaking of halon one very hot day I'm goofing off drinking coffee at
a nearby sub shop when the owner tells me someone from the computing
center was on the phone, that never happened before.

Some poor operator was holding the halon shot, it's a deadman's switch
(well, button) and the building was doing its 110db thing could I come
help? The building is being evac'd.

So my boss who wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer follows me down
as I enter and I'm sweating like a pig with a floor panel sucker
trying to figure out which zone tripped.

And he shouts at me over the alarms: WHY TF DOES IT DO THIS?! Angrily.

I answered: well, maybe THERE'S A FIRE!!!

At which point I notice the back of my shoulder is really bothering
me, which I say to him, and he says hmmm there's a big bee on your
back maybe he's stinging you?

Fun day.

--
        -Barry Shein