Famous operational issues

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Feb 21 23:53:52 UTC 2021

> On Feb 18, 2021, at 9:04 PM, Jen Linkova <furry13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 9:40 AM Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>> 4: Not too long after I started doing networking (and for the same small ISP in Yonkers), I'm flying off to install a new customer. I (of course) think that I'm hot stuff because I'm going to do the install, configure the router, whee, look at me! Anyway, I don't want to check a bag, and so I stuff the Cisco 2501 in a carryon bag, along with tools, etc (this was all pre-9/11!). I'm going through security and the TSA[0] person opens my bag and pulls the router out. "What's this?!" he asks. I politely tell him that it's a router. He says it's not. I'm still thinking that I'm the new hotness, and so I tell him in a somewhat condescending way that it is, and I know what I'm talking about. He tells me that it's not a router, and is starting to get annoyed. I explain using my "talking to a 5 year old" voice that it most certainly is a router. He tells me that lying to airport security is a federal offense, and starts looming at me. I adjust my attitude and start explaining that it's like a computer and makes the Internet work. He gruffly hands me back the router, I put it in my bag and scurry away. As I do so, I hear him telling his colleague that it wasn't a router, and that he certainly knows what a router is, because he does woodwork...
>
> OK, Warren, achievement unlocked. You've just made a network engineer
> to google 'router'....
>
> P.S. I guess I'm obliged to tell a story if I respond to this thread...so...
> "Servers and the ice cream factory".
> Late spring/early summer in Moscow. The temperature above 30C (86°F).
> I worked for a local content provided.
> Aircons in our server room died, the technician ETA was 2 days ( I
> guess we were not the only ones with aircon problems).
> So we drove to the nearby ice cream factory  and got *a lot* of  dry
> ice. Then we have a roaster: every few hours one person took a deep
> breath, grabbed a box of dry ice, ran into the server room and emptied
> the box on top of the racks. The backup person was watching through
> the glass door - just in case, you know, ready to start the rescue
> operation.
> We (and the servers) survived till the technician arrived. And we had
> a lot of dry ice to cool the beer..
>
> --
> SY, Jen Linkova aka Furry

During a wood-working project for the Southern California Linux Expo (the tech team that
(among other things) runs the network for the show was building new equipment carts), I
came up with the following meme:

[I don’t know if NANOG will pass the image despite its small size, so textual description:
A bandaged hand with the index finger amputated at the second knuckle with overlaid red
text stating “Carless Routing May Lead to Urgent Test of Self Healing Network”]

Fortunately, we didn’t have any such issues with the router, though we did have one person
suffer a crushed toe from a cabinet tip-over. Fortunately, the person made a full recovery.

Owen