Famous operational issues

Clayton Zekelman clayton at MNSi.Net
Sat Feb 20 12:41:45 UTC 2021

Not a famous operational issue, but in 2000, we had a major outage of
our dialup modem pool.

The owner of the building was re-skinning the outside using Styrofoam
and stucco.  A bunch of the Styrofoam
had blocked the roof drains on the podium section of the building,
immediately above our equipment room.

A flash rainstorm filled the entire flat roof, and water came back in
over the flashings, and poured directly in
to our dialup modem pool through the hole in the concrete roof deck
where the drain pipe protruded through.

In retrospect, it was a monumentally stupid place to put our main
modem pool, but we didn't realize what was
above the drop ceiling - and that it was roof, not the other 11
floors of the building.

1 bay of 6 shelves of USR TC 1000 HiperDSPs were now very wet and
blinking funny patterns on their LEDs.

Fortunately, our vendor in Toronto (4 hour drive away) had stock of
equipment that another customer kept
delaying shipment on.  They got their staff in, started un-boxing
and, slotting cards.  We spent a few hours
tearing out the old gear and getting ready for replacements.

We left Windsor, Ontario at around 12:00am - same time they left
Toronto, heading towards us.  We coordinated
a meet at one of the rural exits along Highway 401 at a closed gas
station at around 2am.

Everything was going so well until a cop pulled up, and asked us what
we were doing, as we were slinging
modem chassis between the back of the vendor's SUV and our van... We
calmly explained
what happened.  He looked between us a couple of times, shook his
head and said "well, good luck with that",
got back in his car and drove away.

We had everything back online within 14 hours of the initial outage.

--

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)

tel. 519-985-8410