Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

Haudy Kazemi kaze0010 at umn.edu
Fri Feb 19 19:28:27 UTC 2021

Griddy's model makes sense for customers who have the ability to
automatically shed load and switch remaining critical load to backup
generation when wholesale prices spike above the cost of using the backup
generation. Might also make sense if the minimum load after load shedding
is small enough that $9/kWh is not going to break the budget. A 10 watt,
1000 lumen LED can run for 100 hours on 1 kWh.

Customers without such load shedding and/or backup are taking the risk of
possibly seeing $9/kWh (current TX cap?), assuming power is available at
all. Do their customers understand the risk?

It also appears Griddy is planning to roll out a 'price protection option'
for customers. I guess that option probably will look similar to variable
rate plans offered by other retail providers.